Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In God I have Found a Retreat

My hymnal fell open to this hymn that I've never heard, but it is speaks to me this morning. Maybe it will encourage someone else as well:
In God I have Found a Retreat by Asa Hull

"In God I have found a retreat, where I can securely abide;
No refuge or rest so complete, and here I intend to reside.
I dread not the terror by night, No arrow can harm me by day.
His shadow has covered me quite, My fears he has driven away.
The pestilence walking about when darkness has settled abroad,
Can never compel me to doubt the presence and power of God.
The wasting destruction at noon No Fearful foreboding can bring;
With Jesus my soul doth commune, His perfect salvation I sing;
A thousand may fall at my side, and ten thousand at my right hand;
Above me his wings are spread wide, beneath them in safety I stand.

Refrain:
O what comfort it brings, as my soul sweetly sings:
I am safe from all danger while under His wings!"

These Psalms speak loudly to me this morning, and maybe they can help someone who has or will have battles against the enemies of fear or depressing thoughts at some point in their lives:

"If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to YOU [my Father!], the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." Psalm 139: 11-12 (this calms my fears about the "darkness" overwhelming me and becoming unbearable...)

"The enemy pursues me, he crushes me to the ground; he makes me dwell in darkness...so my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed. [THEN]...I will REMEMBER the days of long ago; I MEDITATE on all your works and CONSIDER what your hands have done. I spread out my hands to YOU; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land....rescue me from my enemies (fears, depressing thoughts) O Lord, for I HIDE MYSELF in You!" Psalm 143:3-6 and 9

"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom! One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty, and I will MEDITATE on your WONDERFUL WORKS." Psalm 145:3-5

"All the days ordained for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16

"I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I POUR out my complaint before Him; before Him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is You [Father] who know my way!" Psalm 142:1-3

"The Lord is gracious and compassionate...the Lord is good to all; he has COMPASSION on all He has made." Psalm 145:-9

These are my reflections this morning. Thanks for "listening."
I pray that God will meet your every need and supply what you lack in whatever area of your life that you need it today. If you are rejoicing, may you rejoice all the more in Him this day! If you are weighted down with pressures of life, may He give you strength to bear the load, and may He direct your steps. If you are worried, may He calm your turbulent thoughts with His presence. If you are sad, may He comfort you. Most of all, remember that He treasures you as a child in whom He delights and rejoices over with singing!(Zephaniah 3:17)-Cyndi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.